Bomb techs erred in South Los Angeles explosion, says city police department chief
July 22, 2021, 20:40:02 CEST | Wikinews

Thursday, July 22, 2021 



California
Related articles


July 22, 2021: Bomb techs erred in South Los Angeles explosion, says city police department chief
July 15, 2021: California governor signs new state budget, eligible Californians to get stimulus payments
November 2, 2020: On the campaign trail in the USA, October 2020
October 30, 2020: Wikinews interviews Brian Carroll, American Solidarity Party presidential nominee
October 29, 2020: On the campaign trail in the USA, September 2020

Location of California



Collaborate!

Pillars of Wikinews writing
Writing an article


Chief Moore in July 2018. Image: Luke Harold.
Approximate location where the explosion happened
In a press conference Monday, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Chief Michel Moore said their department's preliminary investigation into a botched disposal of illegal fireworks on June 30 was due to an excess amount of explosives placed into a explosives disposal vehicle. The explosion occurred in the South Los Angeles (L.A.), California, U.S. on East 27th Street, injuring seventeen and damaging vehicles and property.

Five members of LAPD's bomb squad have been removed from duty, said Moore.

On June 30, LAPD officers discovered a cache of over 32 thousand lbs (14,500 kg) of illegal fireworks at a South L.A. residence. Bomb disposal technicians responded by placing an estimated 16.5 lb (7.5 kg) of explosives, into a "total containment vessel", or TCV, where they detonated the material. According to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), technicians actually detonated 42 lb (19 kg) of explosives. The vehicle failed to contain the explosion and the blast injured seventeen people and damaged thirteen nearby businesses, 22 residences, and 37 vehicles.

The TCV's capacity was 15 lb (6.8 kg) for repeated use, or 25 lb (11 kg) for single use, according to Moore. The containment truck had been used by officials for ten years, with the June 30 blast its 42nd usage.

ATF special agents are also investigating the LAPD's actions. They expect to complete their investigation in the next one to two months.

The owner of the home where the fireworks were discovered, 26-year-old Arturo Ceja III, was arrested by LAPD and apprehended on suspicion of unlawful possession of destructive devices and child endangerment. Fireworks are illegal to possess in the City of L.A., and in unincorporated areas of L.A. County. Ceja posted the US$500 thousand bail for release. He is due back in state court in October.

Federal prosecutors charged Ceja III with the illegal transportation of explosives without a license. Prosecutors allege that Ceja III purchased the fireworks from Area 51, a fireworks dealer in Pahrump, Nevada, on the border with California. He was released on US$25 thousand bond pending arraignment, scheduled for August 2.

L.A. Councilmember Curren Price, Jr. criticized the LAPD's bomb squad in a statement saying, "[i]t's clear there was negligence involved and this instance shows zero regard for the people that reside in our South LA community. Every individual that I have talked to including myself wonder if this would have been acceptable protocol in more affluent areas of the City."

The city opened a resource center for affected residents at the YMCA on East 28th Street, where residents can file claims against the city and receive referrals to mental health services.

On Tuesday L.A. City Attorney Mike Feuer said his office received 56 claims against the city, saying, "We're trying to speed this up as much as we can [...] this is an all-hands-on-deck effort to make sure that anybody who suffered because of that explosion gets relief as fast as possible, because they deserve it".

Callers to Tuesday's L.A. Police Commission meeting called for the police department to make reparations to affected city residents and businesses. Moore told the commission there were over 200 applications for claims seeking assistance.





Have an opinion on this story? Share it!



Sources[edit]
City News Service. "BLM, others call for firing of LAPD chief over South LA explosion" — Spectrum News 1, July 20, 2021
Stefanie Dazio (AP). "Chief: Bomb squad caused Los Angeles fireworks explosion" — ABC News, July 19, 2021
Sid Garcia. "South LA Fireworks Blast: Explosive Material Exceeded Capacity of Containment Truck, LAPD Says" — KABC, July 19, 2021
Nouran Salahieh and Gene Kang. "‘Apparent miscalculation’ suspected in LAPD fireworks explosion in South L.A.: Preliminary investigation" — KTLA, July 19, 2021
City News Service. "South LA man linked to massive fireworks blast granted bond" — Spectrum News 1, July 6, 2021
Curren Price. "Curren D. Price, Jr. on Twitter" — Twitter, July 3, 2021
Press Release: "Man Arrested on Charge of Illegally Transporting Fireworks, Including Homemade Devices that Caused Huge Explosion in South L.A." — U.S. Department of Justice, July 3, 2021





Share this: 

Source: Wikinews
Share this article:
share article on facebook share article on twitter share article on google+ share article on tumblr share article on blogger share article on reddit

Articles that may interest you:


United States: At least fifteen dead in South...

Disasters and accidents Related articles 11 January 2018: United States: At least fiftee...

Power firm helicopter strikes cables, crashes...

Thursday, June 4, 2020  Aviation Mishaps Related News June 4, 2020: Power firm helico...

Gunman opens fire in El Paso, Texas superstor...

Thursday, August 8, 2019  Texas Related articles 8 August 2019: Gunman opens fire in E...
Send us your articles and web-novels!
comments powered by Disqus
Most popular


Recently Viewed:


Bomb techs erred in South Los Angeles explosion, say...

Thursday, July 22, 2021  California Related articles July 22, 2021: Bomb techs erred in...


Irish rock band The Cranberries' lead singer Dolores...

Later one of the richest women of Ireland, O'Riordan joined the rock band, then known as "th...


Former Japanese princess Mako Komuro moves to New Yo...

Monday, November 15, 2021  Japan Related articles 8 August 2021: Ten injured, suspect a...


Tuvok is joining the Star Trek Online cast

Tim Russ, better known from Star Trek: Voyager as Tuvok will be joining the growing cast for...


Argentina beats Venezuela 4-1 in Copa América quarte...

On Saturday, in the Copa América Centenario quarter-final, Argentina defeated Venezuela 4–1 ...

Automotive
Reviews | Technology | Projects & Tuning | Events | Racing
Business & Technology
Business & Economy | Mobile | Internet & Media | Security & Privacy | Gadgets & Tech | Software
Lifestyle
Health, Food & Fitness | Fashion | Gardening | DIY | Homes
Society
Accidents | Crime | Culture | Finance | Politics
Science & Environment
Wildlife | Green | Space
Gaming
Reviews
Society
Accidents | Crime | Culture | Finance | Politics
Travel
MM-iNEWS
Copyright & Privacy | Site Roadmap | Sitemap | Contact
Web Development @ OverHertz Ltd
Ω